IMPACT – Impact of Cultural Aspects in the Management of Emergencies in Public Transport
Anadolu University Faculty of Aeronautics and Astronautics is a project partner in a Horizon 2020 project named IMPACT which aims at better understanding the links between culture, risk perception and disaster management in transport hubs. The project coordinator is Deep Blue (IT). Anadolu University project team consists of Asst. Prof. Dr. Uğur Turhan and Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ferhan Kuyucak Şengür. The IMPACT Consortium comprises 8 partners from 6 countries, including SMEs, Universities, one Large Company and a Public Body. The composition of the Consortium reflects the inherent intercultural and interdisciplinary approach of the project.
In particular, the objectives of this project are:
• Analyzing how emotional, psychological and social needs, as well as communal strengths and coping skills that arise in disasters, can affect the way certain urban communities prepare, respond, engage in restoration and recover from disaster.
• Anticipating problems and identifying solutions to cultural problems that may arise in the event of an emergency in urban areas, by providing an analysis of existing links between disaster and culture.
• Improving the effectiveness of those who respond to disasters by better meeting the needs of various cultures during disaster relief, thus improving reaction time and reducing fatalities.
• Increasing hubs’ preparedness for, and ability to, recover from emergencies.
• Providing a framework for improving disasters’ policies and practices by taking into consideration every disaster victim’s cultural and personal uniqueness.
For more information, please visit the project web site: http://www.impact-csa.eu/